The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. Jeremiah 31:3

Friday, September 22, 2006

Yellow Jackets

Reading a friend's blog about flying ants made me think of an expierence of my own, so I thought I'd write about it. It was terrible! Read on...We have had a serious problem with Yellow Jackets this month! I can't put my daughter on or get her off the bus without the terrible things swarming around and dive bombing me and my kids! Its really aweful! About 4 weeks ago, I got stung by one. DS#2 almost got stung cuz it landed on his face and he went cross-eyed and swatted, which made the yellow jacket mad, and it dove for DS#2 so then I instinctively swung at it for coming near my baby. I connected with its head, which, needless to say, made it come after me. Then, as it landed, I knew what was going to happen, and I dropped DS#2 in the process of trying to ward it off and not get stung myself. It didn't work. I got stung anyways, but at least my baby didn't. And he only got a scrape on the leg, which was much less than what is still "bugging" me. (no pun intended.) That thing, thought was rotten! I had to squeeze it to death to pull it out of my arm! It wouldn't brush off. You know, when something lands and stings or bites you, you try to give it the ole"brush off"? Yeah, no. Not happening with this one! I guess it got stuck. The sting-site ached and kept me from sleeping well for almost 4 days; also my inside forearm swelled, got really hot and there was a red area about the size of a softball. it only swelled about and inch and a half, though. My parents were not as concerned, until they saw what I was telling them was true! My brother saw 24 hrs post sting, then saw it 48 hrs post sting and became alarmed that my body was reacting that way but I wasn't having any breathing problems. My dad took an Xacto knife to my arm and removed what we thought to be not only a stinger but also the venom-sack. But why am I still itching? I am highly allergic to Benadryl. I cannot take a children's dose of the children's liquid without passing out for at least 2 hours. Let alone and adult pill. So the only comfort I have is the cream (tried it, it KILLED me to try to rub it in!) or the Caladryl, or that AfterBite stuff. Both work ok, but only last for about 20 minutes, then the immense itching/redness/hotness is back. We have not been able to play outside or get into our van without 4 or 5 coming in with us. It really makes you leary and edgy and kinda like a looney bin in your head to see them or have them flying around you after getting stung that bad! You start freaking out, I mean really losing your mind whenever you are outside. I wouldn't classify myself as an outdoors kinda girl, although I am making an effort to be moreso for my kids' sake, but I'm not typically scared of stinging insects. I usually just calmly shoo them away and they don't get to me. Not now. Hopefully next year we won't have such an outbreak or bumpercrop or whatever you want to call it. The first year we were here, was the year of the houseflies. Terrible. Much rather that in my house that I can chase and kill without the potential of harm coming to me and my children vs. the Yellow Jackets. See, I thought it was just my apt. complex, till I started going to the store, and I was 4 blocks from home at a stoplight and saw them trying to get into a car 3 cars behind me. Yes, I could see them that far back -- that's how many there were around here! Plus, they were all around at two different stores in two different cities about 5-10 miles apart, and about 15 miles from my place. Apparently, it is a NE Ohio thing. Yeay! Aren't we special? I only hope I don't get stung again. Ever. I haven't bene stung by anything since I was a teen, and back then, I wasn't allergic. Now, who knows? The reaction I displayed was so bad that I wonder what would happen if I got more than one sting? I don't want to find out, but I'm considering myself borderline allergic. I spoke to my Pharmacist friend, who said my only option was to use the topcial cream or lotion. So, it has been a l-o-n-g time healing. Although the pain was gone by about 7-10 days, the bump is still there and quite itchy when touched or brushed against something. Which is like all the time since it's on the inside of my forearm. What do you think?

2 comments:

momteacherfriend said...

OUCHY mama!!
When I was in the south, DS got stung and Miss Sue made a tobacco salve. Weird I know. "They say" it draws the sting out of it. It wasn'r me so I dont know how well it worked but DS calmed down after they put it on. All they did was mix the filling of a cigeratee with water. Again I know this sounds weird.

Hope you clear up and that the yellow jackets go far far away from your home and family.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are still in pain/and itch. Hope you get better soon.

Love, mom