The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. Jeremiah 31:3

Monday, May 08, 2006

Practicing Raising Your Sheild of Faith

The following is from an excerpt from Beth Moore's study book called "Believing God". It was a weekend reading from my daily devotional magazine called "Journey: a Woman's Guide to Intimacy with God". I felt lead to share this on my blogspot to encourage others as Beth has encouraged me. She regularly writes in to the magazine from what I have read. I don't know a lot about her, but I am put to the challenge with everything of hers I've read so far. So Beth writes:
God taught me a specific way to practice taking up me shield of faith. He equipped me with a five-statement pledge of faith that encompasses virtually everything we're challenged to believe. I raise my right arm and hold out my hand like a shield. I then put up my thumb and declare, "God is who He says He is." I add my index finger and proclaim, "God can do what He says He can do." Adding my third finger, I say, "I am who God says I am." With my fourth finger I state, "I can do all things through Christ." My little finger completes the shield as I say, "God's Word is alive and active in me." I put an exclamation mark on the end of my five-statement pledge of faith with the simplest of sign language to the words "I'm believing God." With the index finger of that same hand, I point to my heart and say, "I'm." I point to my forehead and say, "believing" (because faith is always an exercise of the will, not the emotions). Then I point upward toward heaven and say, "God." I practive this exercise in my house by meself, on walks with my dogs, in my work and anywhere else I can get away with it. As I make each statement, I can literally feel supernatural strength building within me. Anytime someone makes fun of me, I have the same thought: "Beloved, I was once the most bound-up, defeated believer you've ever me, and now I'm a walking miracle experiencing the power of God. With all due respect, how's life going for you?" Sometimes God demands radical measures when He wants to bring about radical results. I may look silly, but to the glory of God alone, someting's working. This woman should have been a lost cause. Commit to say, write or think your five-statement pledge of faith repeatedly over the time frame you choose with God. As for me, I think I'll declare it until I die. But even if you only repeat it for a number of weeks, I pray the practive will help you put a new belief in your system.
Please remember that everything in italics was Beth Moore's words and thoughts and ideas. I found them to be awesome and encouraging so I thought I would share them with everyone.

1 comment:

momteacherfriend said...

I did her study...Believing God, last year. It was awesome and life changing. I think of the pledge often. It really does bring strength when you put everything in its proper perspective