The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. Jeremiah 31:3

Friday, June 02, 2006

Letting Go

Today, I decided to treat my children to McDonald's. We had to run errands, and they needed to get out. Rain is deluging us yet again, and my DD does not have chicken pox. Apparently, she got into something while camping. How do I know it is not chicken pox? Well, after using Benedryl and Caladryl, for a few days now, the spots have shrunken in size, and 90% of the redness and itching is gone. Amazing! Thank you God!

Just endeavoring to take all three of my children by myself anywhere requires careful planning! I figured they deserved the treat, considering the fact that they have done a great job overall doing their chores and also behaving while camping.
Well, I have been thinking about the fact that I hold my kids back after reading a friend's blog on it. MOMTEACHERFRIEND (check out the post from May 23rd.) In the middle of our meal, DD says she has to go potty. Here is the conversation between us: me: well, you will have to wait until we are all done. I'm sorry, but I can't leave the boys.
DD: I can't! I can't! I really can't!
me: I don't know what else to do, hon.
I know that she waits to go until the absolute last minute, and I felt bad for her. I immdiately felt the Holy Spirit prompting me to let go of her and let her go by herself. I was scared, but I obeyed. I told her she had 3 or 4 minutes and then I was going to come in. (How, I had no idea, as both boys are s-l-o-w eaters.) I reminded her to scream very loudly if anyone approached her, and off she ran. I was a praying maniac the whole time, and I also felt the Holy Spirit ministering to my spirit as it was happening. I was also trying to not let the boys see me anxious. Exactly 4 minutes went by and she came out with the biggest smile on her face! DD: I did it! I went all by myself! I was having trouble getting the sink on so this lady --she looked real nice to me mom, don't worry--she helped me but I went potty by myself with no help! me: Congratulations, honey! I knew you could do it! I am soooo proud of you! I will go home and write about it in my blog!
Now some of you (especially my mom), your mouths are probably gaping open. But I ask, what is a parent to do? I really feel that sometimes in parenting, you have to step outside of your comfort zone and trust God to protect your children when you cannot be right there. Yes, it is difficult, but she feels esteemed by mommy allowing her to go off by herself. And it helps me realize my baby is growing up in ways she needs to. Will I go with her next time if there is another adult present? Yes, but only if she wants me to. I could see the bathroom door the entire time, it wasn't very busy and there is only one way out of there - through the door I could see. Maybe, just maybe, she won't need so much "company" as she calls it, when she goes to the bathroom at home now. (she always insists on "company" at home because she gets bored.)
Thank you, Holy Spirit, for speaking to me today, and for giving me enough boldness to let go.

No comments: