The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. Jeremiah 31:3

Friday, June 09, 2006

My Little Girl

First off, I want to say two things: 1) I love her very much. She is the apple of my eye and I would absolutely not trade her for anything or anyone in the world. 2) She is a replica of me. And she mirrors me. (Don't all little kids?)

I am wondering what to do about a problem that seems to be getting out of hand. She won't stop talking. Those of you who know me personally are probably cracking up right now! I know! I am the same way, but let me explain. You see, she has to always be talking. And her little brother, well, he can't get a word in edge-wise. And he is a quiet-talker, so it's hard to hear him anyways, let alone when she is talking. Did I mention that she talks loudly? We ask her, "Little girl (yes we use her name), do you talk just to hear yourself?" She smiles and says "Yes! I just love to talk! I love to hear myself talk . Sometimes I find myself tuning her out and she catches me doing it. I can't help it. I feel bad, but my goodness! It's so hard to listen to a 4 year old go on and on about little girl 4 year old things for 10 15 or 20 minutes. (Or longer). No, I really don't think I'm exaggerating. See, when DH and I want to talk, we get like 50 interruptions. 48 are from DD and 2 are from the boys. Ok, that may be a bit exaggerating, but you get my point. I get frustrated because I can't ask DS#1 "what do you want for lunch, a pbj or a hot dog" without DD either answering for him or paying no attention whatsoever to the fact that I am in a conversation and trying to start one herself with me. We have tried the time out thing, but even there, she keeps right on talking. Which leads to her sitting in time out longer until she can stop. We do spend time with her. I am trying my best to be dilligent in spending one on one time with her as much as possible. Maybe its just her age and I will have to just deal with it. Maybe God is using her to teach me patience.

1 comment:

momteacherfriend said...

Yes I am cracking up! For those of you that do not KNOW seeker IRL she is more than a talker. LOL

And her DD is also very talkative.
I think it has much to do with how God designed her. She is a communicator. She may think out loud. She may say everything on her mind and then some. She may be an evangelist. She may be a teacher that needs to speak the truth. She will not hold back; unless she is taught her ideas, opinions and such are useless chatter and not of value. Teaching her to respect others time and opinions may be the way to go in handling it. She needs to know you have time to hear her and that there are times you need to hear the boys. Teach her that it is disrespectful to answer for someone else. That DS1 can do it and needs to do it. That it is disrespectful to inturrupt adults, especially continously. Teach her a polite way to inturrupt. Then listen to her when you have given her your attention. Ask her specific questions to end the constant babble to be heard. That is what she wants, is to be heard.