The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. Jeremiah 31:3

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

1 Timothy 1

(NIV) v9We also know that law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10for adulterers and perverts, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine. Don't we all fall into this category? So we are all unrighteous, and full of sin. Dictionary.com defines righteous as 'Morally upright; without guilt or sin'.

Then we see in verse 15 how we can be made righteous: 15Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. 17Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen. Did you notice in verse 17 the excitement from Paul? I can relate to his personality! Very exuberant, full of life, (seemingly) talkative and one who sticks their neck out a lot.

(AMP) The last thing that struck me was v19b and 20 By rejecting and thrusting from them [their conscience], some individuals have made shipwreck of their faith.
20Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have delivered to Satan in order that they may be disciplined [by punishment and learn] not to blaspheme.
I found this to be quite interesting. Like, what does that mean, exactly? Is it figurative- That those two have gone astray from the faith, maybe backslidden, and Paul isn't trying to stop them? Or something else?


Father God, thank you for Your Word. Thank you for the work that you have begun in my life. Please continue to speak to me and allow your Word to be alive and fresh to me each day. Thank you is just not enough for your Son's life. We are wholly and completely unworthy of your love, yet you, oh Lord, love us unconditionally and desire us to be with you. I desire to learn how to love like that. Bless this time as I post these studys, Lord. In Jesus Name, Amen.

1 comment:

momteacherfriend said...

I recall the time of driving in my courier car for hours! It was there that I commited these verses to memory. How they ministered to me then, and still today. In that time verses 15-17 were my anthem. I so identified. The worst of sinners. That's how I saw myself. And I truly was/am thankful "that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service."

It speaks to me now on a few different levels. False teachers...what is there motive, does their teaching come with a pure heart, good conscience and a sincere faith? Is it meaningless talk? Does it line up with scripture and the law?

I love the verse that speaks about Timothy's prophecy. I want to fight the good fight. In keeping with my prophecy given to me.

KJV 17Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.