The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. Jeremiah 31:3

Monday, July 17, 2006

1 Timothy 4

1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.(NIV) I don't want to read into this, but I wonder if this portion of scripture includes some false prophets that are masquerading as tele-evangelists? There are SOME that are false prophets. Now, that is my opinion. I do not mean to offend anyone. But come on, people! Let's be real! Those evangelists that are out their for their own agenda that preach only 'health and wealth'....I have to wonder. I could go on and on about that but I won't. Just be careful who you listen to. If you do watch teleevangelists, ask God to give you a discerning heart.

7Stay clear of silly stories that get dressed up as religion. Exercise daily in God—no spiritual flabbiness, please! Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever.(MSG)7Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly.(NIV) This is speaking to us to lean on God and His Word and not get caught up in the world around us for ways to be healed. Check out my friend Kellie's blog. Read her entry for Sunday, July 16th. It really applies to this. And how about the Message calling it "spiritual flabbiness"? Too funny, yet we all can clearly get the picture of the metaphor!

12Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. 13Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. This could almost be my anthem for doing this study. I am doing my best to do these things. Are you???

Dear Lord, please be with me today. Thank you for giving us your Scripture so that we know how you want us to live our lives. I ask that you would guide me so that I don't misguide others, God. I only want to do Your will in Your timing. Speak to my readers today, God. Impart wisdom to them. Speak clearly to their hearts. Allow them to soak up your word. Keep us all humble, Lord Jesus. It's in Your Name I pray; Amen.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I love that the Bible tells us how to identify the "imposters." They are "hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared...They forbid poeple to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods." I love that we have the upper hand and something to compair these people too. Thank you LORD.

I am going to give this verse to my husband.

V4 For everything GOD created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,

We have loved working our garden this year. He has just been so involved and anytime someone says that it is a lot of work he responds that he is enjoying every minute of it and no one can take that joy from him. He has told me many times that he is so glad we have this garden.

I love verse 13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.

Public not just at church read your Bible in the coffie shops and bookstores at the bus stop and while waiting in line at the grocery. Any place you see someone reading a book you could be reading your Bible.

Being devoted to preaching does not mean you have to preach. You could support a ministry that you believe is devoted to preaching.

And teaching I think we are all doing good using these blogs for teaching others about our life with GOD.

This may have been a commission to Timothy but I want to take it for myself.