The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. Jeremiah 31:3

Thursday, July 20, 2006

1 Timothy 6

6But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.(NIV) One of my favorite pastors in Michigan had bought a White Pontiac GTP. I believe it was loaded, and he got it when GTPs first came out. I cannot remember the entire story, but I believe it is related to this part of Scripture. He loved this car very much. It was a beautiful car. But he had to remember one thing: that he could not take it to heaven with him. So he put a red round sticker on his car to serve as a constant visual reminder to him that the car would, one day, burn and that we cannot allow ourselves to get obsessed with material possessions because when we are in heaven, all our "stuff" would be staying here. (I am not sure if I got all the details of this right, but I know that was what he did and the reason why. Perhaps my DH will come on as my guest storyteller later....)

11But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. 12Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you 14to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen. (NIV) This part in the NIV is called "Paul's charge to Timothy" and it seems quite hefty to me. But you know what? It gives me not just hope, but fills me with excitement to know that this same charge given to Timothy we can still carry today. Its like a torch to be continuously carried on for all of time.

20Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, 21which some have professed and in so doing have wandered from the faith. Grace be with you. (NIV) People, please be careful. There are so many people out there that will try to distract you. They believe their way is correct. They believe they know the future. Please don't depend on anyone but God and His word to direct you. Be discerning in what you allow into your home. Not just your homes, but the conversations you take part in. Constantly hold it up to the Word of God and see if it measures up. If it does not, discard it or stop the conversation. This is my prayer for you.

No comments: