The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. Jeremiah 31:3

Thursday, July 06, 2006

1 Timothy 2

1I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone 2for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.(NIV) This is such a good reminder for us to pray for our government. Did you know that today is President Bush's 60th birthday? This is not a coincidence that I am reading this today! :) I understand why the Bible says "pray continually" (1Thessalonians 5:7). Think of all the things outside our little bubbles where we live! You cannot stay silent. Our lives should be continual prayer. I love to pray for people, but I don't like praying out loud if there are more than one or two people. I found myself a few years back saying to everyone who said "pray for me....." that I would pray for them. But then I'd forget. It made me feel sad, and like I'd let that person down. So, a wise person (I cannot remember who) advised that when someone approaches you and asks for prayer, that you tell them you will pray for them as the Holy Spirit leads you. That means that you are living in sensitivity to the Holy Spirit and when he places a person on your heart that you will pray as He leads. This works out much better, and still conveys that you care about the person and their situation.

8 I desire therefore that in every place men should pray, without anger or quarreling or resentment or doubt [in their minds], lifting up holy hands. (AMP) This is good, but this 9Also [I desire] that women should adorn themselves modestly and appropriately and sensibly in seemly apparel, not with [elaborate] hair arrangement or gold or pearls or expensive clothing,
10But by doing good deeds (deeds in themselves good and for the good and advantage of those contacted by them), as befits women who profess reverential fear for and devotion to God.
11Let a woman learn in quietness, in entire submissiveness.
12I allow no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to remain in quietness and keep silence [in religious assemblies].
13For Adam was first formed, then Eve;
14And it was not Adam who was deceived, but [the] woman who was deceived and deluded and fell into transgression. 15Nevertheless [the sentence put upon women of pain in motherhood does not hinder their souls' salvation, and] they will be saved [eternally] if they continue in faith and love and holiness with self-control, [saved indeed]
through the Childbearing or by the birth of the divine Child. (AMP) This confused me. First, from biblical days to the present - the clothing has changed almost immeasurably. What is now considered modest in clothing would still probably be considered immodest in biblical times. I did not realize that jewelry was wrong. Second, I did not know the Bible specifically said anything about women teaching over men. My sister-in-law is a pastor (and married to one), although she is not currently preaching. There are different denominations that do allow women pastors. I wonder why? My mom leads a couples bible study, does that mean she is wrong to do so? Third, I did not know that childbirth had anything to do with salvation. ? Well, there is the obvious -- that being the birth of Christ Jesus, and maybe that's what Paul is saying here. Maybe I am reading into this too literally, but I can't understand it.


Dear Lord, please reveal your Word to me. Help me to understand its meaning so that I can apply it to my life today. Please be with our President today, bless him and keep him safe. Allow him to have an enjoyable day. Please be with our service men and women. Guard them. Go before them, and allow them to seek you as they make decisions regarding the war. Be with the other offices of our government, Lord. I pray that you would bring more honest, christian men and women into office and that your divine will be carried out. In Jesus name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will type to you some of what my spirit filled life bible says in its notes: Maybe they will help you. DM

1 Tim. 2: 10 Women should ovserve a proper sense of modesty, free from vanity and worldly display, at all times, but expecialy in public worship. A godly woman's attractiveness is her character, not her costly clothing. (See 1 Pet. 3: 3-4.)

1 Tim 2 vs 11, 12 Positively Paul exhorts women to be disiples and maintain a conduct that would not discredit the church. It does ot forbid women to educate, proclaim truth or exhort(prophesy). See Acts 2:17; 18:26;21:9; 1 Cor. 11:5; Phil. 4:3; 2 Tim 1:5;3:14;Titus 2:3-5.

1 Tim 2:13 The fact that Adam was formed first by God indicates a priority of responsibilty. god appointed the man as the head of the family, and the wife is not to usurp authority over him in this office. conversely, the man is therewith charged to accept and serve this role, not as a tyrant but as a servant under god's assignment and subject to His holy and loving Spirit.
1 Tim 2:14 Adam acted by deliberate choice but Eve was deceived. paul does not teach that Adam was morally inteletually or spiritually superior to Eve, simply tht her trustfulness made her susceptible to deception.

1Tim 2:15 To be a Christian homemaker, wife and mother is as lofty a work as can be inspired, especialy as we study the abundant historical evidence of a mother's winfluence in shaping the destiny of children, who have in turn shaped the history of the church and of nations.